Monday, October 31, 2011

Steak, Asiago and Horseradish Cream Pizza with Caramelized Onions

Back again with another entry in Kitchen Play's Progressive Party Menu. This time with a nifty little combo of flavors paired together for a gourmet pizza.

This month's sponsor is the National Onion Association. Anyone that promotes onions is a friend of mine! I can't live without onions.

Elle's New England Kitchen created this recipe and suggested that it might go together well as a pizza. I went the pizza route for a few reasons: 1) I love pizza. 2) I had a Socca bread recipe I was dying to try and this was the perfect excuse.

I found the Socca recipe in a free Kindle download called Gluten-free, Hassle-free. Socca is a traditional bread from France and Italy that is made out of chickpea flour.

The only thing I changed in Elle's recipe was that I used socca bread for a pizza and I used Asiago cheese instead of blue. I love blue cheese, but did not have any in the house at that time.

Here are those glorious onions as they are slowly caramelizing. The house smelled terrific!


Here is a very big, juicy sirloin tip steak cooked just as Elle has suggested.


And here is the pizza! A bit rustic looking, but I've heard that rustic is all the rage right now so I'm in!


Socca is a bit tricky to work with until you get the hang of it. It is a batter the consistency of crepe batter so you need to have the heat just right and that gently twisting and rolling action of the wrist! I liked the socca and I liked Elle's recipe, so I think I'll keep them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment