Sunday, June 12, 2011

Kiwi Lemonade Shandy

The children and I made lemonade the other day. There was a sale on fresh lemons so we grabbed them. We used this recipe:

Lemonade

Simple, refreshing lemonade that even the youngest child can make!
Source: MOMYS Cookbook
Course: Beverages

Ingredients

  • 3 lemons
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 gallon water

Directions

  1. Wash the lemons and roll them on the counter gently to make them juicer. Slice each one, making the slices about 1/4 inch thick. Place the sugar in the bottom of a large pickle jar or jug. Drop slices into sugar and them make sure your hands are clean. Squeeze the sugar and the lemon slices until you get a nice blend of juices with the sugar. Add water to top of jug and let sit for 3 hours (if you can wait that long!). Strain juice from the lemon slices and seeds. Keep lemonade in the refrigerator. Add small amounts of other juices for variations.
It was the most refreshing lemonade that I have ever tasted! From here on out, I will always use this method for making homemade lemonade. That said, I am also participating in the Progressive Menu at Kitchen Play so when I saw the cocktail recipe, it really got me to thinking how I could incorporate my lemonade and the Zespri kiwi into a cocktail. A quick Swagbucks search educated me on lemonade cocktails, one of which is called a Shandy, half lemonade and half beer. Well, since the original Progressive Menu cocktail recipe involves mead, I decided to try making a Kiwi Lemonade Shandy! 

I set my girls to work making the lemonade. 

This is the two-year-old "helping".

We added kiwi slices to the mixture of lemon slices and sugar and then my 7-year-old Curly Top, went to work with her petite hands, squeezing and pulverizing the mixture. 


We then filled the jug with filtered water and let it set for 3 hours.


Next, we strained the kiwi infused lemonade through a metal sieve. At this point, we had a lovely kiwi lemonade, perfect for hot, sunny days. The girls all enjoyed sipping on it. 

Mommy and Daddy however, mixed it with Shiner Hefeweizen, equal parts and we tried our first ever Kiwi Lemonade Shandy! 


Delicious! You really must try it. And, please, please do make the plain lemonade recipe. It is amazing and your children will love you for it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    Oh my goodness! What a creative take on both lemonade and the Kiwi Mead recipe at Kitchen PLAY this month. We love making fresh lemonade at our house, but both of your versions (with kiwifruit and as a Shandy) are going in to our rotation this summer. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Good luck in the giveaway.

    Best,
    Casey

    ReplyDelete